head.jpg (12903 bytes)

BACK

AHMEDNAGAR  CITY

Six miles from the City on a hill called Shah Dongar, stands the tomb of Salabat khan, visible for miles across the plains  which spread 900 feet below the monument. The sepulchral monument is octagonal in shape. Sunlight plays on the tomb thought the day, streaming through slanted apertures in the vault.

Sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Mahal of chand bibi by local residents, this in fact the tomb of Salabat KhanII, the famous minister of the fourth Nizam shah, Murtaza who ascended the throne in 1565. A great statesman, Salabat Khan was appointed minister in 1579, after the half-mad Murtaza put to death his regent, Changiz Khan,in a fit of suspicion and rage.  Salabat Khan was respected and loved by the people of Ahmednagar.

histB1.png (184518 bytes)

 

SALABAT   KHAN'S TOMB

histA3.png (210820 bytes)

In order to wreak his revenge on the Bahamani king, who had distrusted  and sought to destroy him, Ahmed Nizam Shah,as Malik ahmed now called himself, decided to destroy Daulatabad. He shifted his headquarter from Junnar near Pune ,to Ahmednagar, in order to come within striking distance of Daulatabad which lay 75 miles south-west of Ahmednagar. The foundation of city  of Ahmenadgar was laid in 1494 on the left bank of Sina river. In the centre of the city was the Bagh Nizam( the Garden of Victory). In 1499,Malik Ahmed has his revenge. He captured Daulatabad Fort and destroyed the Bahamin kingdom. To commemorate this second victory, he raised a wall around the Bagh Nizam.the Bagh Nizam Later become Ahmednagar Fort. 

KOT BAGH NIZAM

 

In 1599,Akbar captured Ahmednagar. The NizamShahi saw a brief resurgence during this period ,when Malik Amber, regent of tenth Nizam Shah,Murtaza-II, consolidated the NizamShahi at Paranda,75 miles northeast of Ahmednagar The Nizam Shahi ended in 1636,after nearly 150 years of ascendancy over Ahmednagar. The Mughal Emperor Shah jahan captured Ahmednagar in 1640.He crushed the Nizam Shah & established the Mughal rule which was to last till 1759. Shivaji invaded Ahmednagar twice during this period ,in 1657 & 1665,& his army continued to harass the Mughals all through. After the death of shivaji in 1680, Aurangzeb entered the Deccan & despite continuous hara- ssment by  the Marathas, held sway over entire region till his death at Ahmednagar, near Bhingar,on 21 Feb 1707.He was buried at mausoleum designed by himself at Aurangabad. A small tomb was erected at Ahmednagar where his mortal remains were bathed  and prepared for burial, before the final journey to Aurangabad.

histB3.png (200388 bytes)

 

AURANGZEB'S TOMB

histA4.png (243755 bytes)

Ahmed Nizam Shah,the founder of Ahmednagar ,died in the beginning of the sixteenth century, and was buried half a mile noth- west of city. The Bagh Rauza,a fine black stone mausoleum with a domed roof, within which glitter inscriptions of gold from the Koran, enshrines the tomb of this founder and 'faujdar' of Ahmednagar.

One of the finest monuments in Ahmednagr, the Baugh Rauza,or the Garden of Shrine, is located just outside the western perimeter of the old city, near the Delhi Gate. The tomb is flanked by two other tombs. A stone monument nearby, is said to be the  tomb of Ghulam Ali, a royal elephant who distinguished himself in the battle of Talikot against the Raja of Vijaynagar.in 1565, during the reign of the third Nizam Shah.

THE  BAGH RAUZA

 

Ahmed Nizam's son,Burhan Shah, who ascended the throne in 1508 at the age of seven, fortified the NizamShahi dynasty by forming an alliance with the sworn enemy of his father, the powerful Raja of Vijaynagar, whose kingdom lay to the south. This period was characterised by religious tolerance, art & flourishing trade. Skirmishes with the Mughals, Bijapur & various other small states continued through his reign, & Burhan Shah the worrier king, remained ever ready to do the battle. A palace built for Burhan Shah,the second Nizam Stands in ruins, two miles south-east of the city. The Fariabagh Palace rises from lake. It is octagonal structure with a flat- roofed upper story, over a domed central hall. The structure is rough stone, plastered with stucco. Here noblemen played chess & in gardens that once surrounded  the lake. Burhan Shah died in 1553 at the age of fifty four & was buried at Karbala.

histA5.png (216853 bytes)

 

FARIA BAGH PALACE

histA6.png (202746 bytes)

The third Nizam Shah, Hussain, who ascended the throne in 1553 AD, found himself constantly at war with his neighbours. Six years after his ascension, he was besieged by Ram Raja, the king of Vijaynagar. He decided to strengthen the mud edifice created by his grandfather, which he had been using as a fort. 

A team of Portuguese engineers was commissioned, and they created what is seen of the Ahmednagar fort today. Over a mile in circumference, it was built from rock hewn out of the moat, almost 200 feet wide and twenty feet deep. The duke of Wellington, who captured the fort in 1803, considered it one of the strongest forts he had ever seen.

In 1942 Pandit Nehru and other Indian leaders were incarcerated within the walls of the fort. Pandit Nehru wrote famous book ‘Discovery of India’  during this period.

AHMEDNAGAR FORT

 

The Mughal period was followed by half a century of Maratha rule. In 1803, Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington captured the Ahmendnagar Fort, but handed it over to Peshwa. the British Army firmly took possession of Ahmednagar in 1817 &  remained thereafter. In 1830,the British Army began to arrive at Ahmednagar, which became a full fledged British garrison. In 1849,the local farmers complained to the collector that their cultivation was being destroyed by the Artillery units carrying out ball practice. The collector asked the Army to acquire the land being occupied by them. From 1849 to 1852, the British Army acquired 400 acres of land around the Fort & construction of the Cantonment commenced. As per detailed accounts published in the Ahmednagar Gazetteer in 1882,a batter of Field Artillery, our companies  of European Infantry ,& one company of Indian Infantry were garrisoned at Ahmednagar at the time. In 1913 a Remount Depot was established to house 500 horses. By 1887,the Army had acquired a total of 559 acres of land in Ahmednagar.

histB4.png (141961 bytes)

MOUNTED PARADE OF THE 4th  REGIMENT ,LIGHT DRAGOONS; AHMEDNAGAR ,1841

histB5.png (210951 bytes)

          As per the Church records, the first British Army units to arrive at Ahmednagar were the Auxiliary Horsed Cavalry. These units occupied the Fort. In 1830 there was a fairly large contingent of troops based here & a padre had to come from Kirkee.

       The cantonment of Ahmednagar, till just before world war I, had the Fort as its centre. All units formed circle around the Fort at a distance of half a mile from it. South-east of the Fort stood two churches, Roman Catholic & Episcopalian, both adjoining each other.

      Various British units were stationed at Ahmednagar from 1817.Graves in the Church cemeteries, throw light on the units stationed here, and from inscriptions it can be concluded that Ahmednagar flourished as Cantonment 1840 onwards.

ST JOHN'S CATHOLIC CHURCH

 

In 1921,six Armoured Car companies arrived & in 1924 the Royal Tank Crops School was established at Ahmednagar
to train the administer personnel of the Royal Tank Corps. This School was the forerunner of the Fighting  Vehicle School, which began to impart to driving & maintenance training.

Since armoured cars were fitted with Machine Guns, the Machine Gun School was co-located at Ahmednagar, in the area now occupied by Armament & Electronics Regiment.

Most of the barracks and bungalows which exist today and are still in use, including the building that houses the Headquarters, Armoured Crops Centre and School, were constructed in the second half of the nineteenth century. 

 

HEADQUARTERS,ARMOURED CORPS CENTRE

ShriGanesh.jpg (56573 bytes)

  • Shri Vishal Ganapati,Maliwada,Ahmednagar
  • Temple of Lord Ganesha

         Gram Devta of Ahmednagar,It is 11  feet in height,

SHRI VISHAL GANAPATI,MALIWADA

 

Land of Ahmednagar is made holy by many saints born on this land. One of them is jain  saint Shri Anand Rishiji Maharaj. Postal department has issued a multi-colored of Rs. 4/- stamp in honour of renowned Acharya Anand Rishiji Maharaj. Acharya Anand Rishiji Maharaj was one such soul, whose contributions in the social & educational spheres have been a prolific & significant as his spiritual guidance to his followers. He was born at ShiralChichondi ,Ahmednagar  in August 1900 & received initiation from Ratan Rishiji Maharaj at the age of 13, thereby formally committing himself to a life of spiritual pursuits & service to humanity. His teachings were deep rooted in love, non- violence & tolerance. He was proficient in nine languages &  wrote extensively in Marathi and Hindi. He had founded numerous educational & religious institutions & also rejuvenated many ailing institutions & founded magazines . He was bestowed with the title of "Acharya" in the year 1965 & left for his heavenly abode in the year 1992. The place Anand Dham is developed in his memory.

Anand-Dham, Ahmednagar.jpg (107835 bytes)

 

ANAND DHAM

ahmmuseum.jpg (22941 bytes)

It is established on 1st may 1960, on Maharashtra Day, with the help of Ahmednagar Nagar palika in two rooms. In 1953, Shri. Sardar Babasaheb Mirikar, Shri. N.V. Pathak, Shri. Sahebrao Nisal, Shri. C.L. Nagarkar, Shri. Munshi Ammid concentrated on research & collection of historical documents & many other fascinating artifacts.  Aim to establish museum was to  preserve all collected things & to give idea of historical heritage to new generation. Since collection grows fast,  two room museum shifted to Hutatma Chawk, near collector office.The museum of Ahmednagar, boasts of more than 12000 manuscripts, more than 8000 coins, more than 50,000 Historical Documents and many other fascinating artifacts, which include a 66 m long horoscope and a London printed 1816 map of India. Museum executive trusty Shri. Suresh Joshi, now looking after all activities of museum

(On Thursdays, the museum remains closed. On other days, visiting time – 10 am to 5 pm.)

AHMEDNAGAR  HISTORICAL MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTRE