PLACES

MADHI

Situated in 1905' north latitude and 7505' east longitude in Pathardi taluka, eight miles to the south-west of Pathardi, the taluka head-quarters, has, according to the Census of 1971, a total population of 1,917 souls. The village has no direct approach road and the nearest bus-stop for the village is at Tisgaon, about four miles distant from the village. From Tisgaon one has either to foot out the distance or to use a bullock-cart to reach Madhi.

Wells form the main source of water-supply to the village. The village has a primary school, a math, two dargahs, three mosques and six temples, one each of Lakshmi, Kaniphnath, Mahadev and Bahiroba and two of Maruti. Of these temples, the temple of Kaniphnath is the most important one and the place is noted for the fair in honour of Kaniphnath who is held in great reverence by Hindus as also by the Muslims. The chief buildings which are on a small hill were constructed by Hindu kings and chiefs. The tomb of the saint has approaches from three different directions. A flight of about 200 steps leads to the tomb. The tomb of the saint is made of stone in the shape of a turbat. At the four corners of the tomb there are minarets with a small-sized dome at the top of each. Over the tomb is a gold-plated pinnacle of brass. The shrine in which the tomb of the saint is located is a lofty building surrounded by a wall with twelve doors. There are also a few tombs of the disciples of the saint. A horse of brass is placed before the tomb of the saint.

TOP