PLACES

GURAVPIMPRI

Guravpimpri, 1840' north latitude and 7455' east longitude with an area of 10.1 square miles and a population of 2,013 in 1971, is situated about eight miles north of Karjat, the head-quarters of the taluka in which it is situated. It has a primary school up to seventh standard and a grampanchayat office. Besides, the village has an irrigation tank, built in 1952 with an irrigation potential of 1,300 acres.

The village has a plain Hemadpanti temple of Pimpreshvar Mahadev and a modern ruined temple of Rameshvar. The latter has a ruined well or barav with a drinking trough attached. The temple of Pimpreshvar Mahadev has occupied an area of about 80' X 40'. Its gabhara is of 20' X 20' and has four pillars, each about eight feet in height, and four inches. The hall of the temple has nine domes and the linga is in a pit-like shrine. The temple has two inscriptions, one under the door of the enclosure and another on an extra pillar which supports a cracked stone beam.

TOP